Why does my dog need dental x-rays
Why does my dog need dental x-rays …?
For the same reason people need dental x-rays, to discover what is hidden from view. Pets cannot say “Hey Doc it hurts right over here”. Veterinarians must just stumble-upon a pet’s dental disease, sometimes with very little help from the patient. However, it is much easier to stumble-upon a dental disease process if one understands pet dentistry and uses appropriate diagnostic tools such as dental x-rays.
Dental X-rays and images are from Kiara, an 8 year old Italian Greyhound that had three previous teeth cleanings at other animal hospitals. When his teeth were cleaned and dental x-rays taken at Dunedin Animal Medical Center we discovered some interesting dental disease dating back to when he was a puppy. Maybe this pet would not have had to endure these painful, broken and infected teeth for years if dental x-rays had been taken at any of the previous teeth cleaning.
At Dunedin Animal Medical Center Full-mouth Dental X-rays are included with every teeth cleaning (dental prophy).
Click on each of the images below and read about what we found. You will then be able to easily answer the question Why Does My Dog Need Dental X-rays?
Dental X-rays and images – Right side
- 1 & 2 – Calculus that has collected on an old (retained) broken baby tooth.
- 3 – Dental X-ray after (retained) baby tooth extracted.
- 4 – Teeth that must be extracted.
- 5 – Dental X-ray after above teeth extracted.
Dental X-rays and images – Left side
- 6 & 7 – Broken baby canine (retained) tooth root, not visible with Dental X-rays.
- 8 – Dental X-ray after (retained) tooth root extracted
- 9 – Teeth that must be extracted.
- 10 – Dental X-ray after above teeth (9) extracted
- 11 – Infection from (retained) baby tooth root. If left untreated, it may have resulted in the loss of this adult canine tooth.
Why do dogs need dental x-rays
Dogs need dental x-rays for the same reason your dentist takes x-rays of your teeth. To see what is hidden from view under the gums.
He came to us because of a loose tooth. You will be amazed at what we found on his dental x-rays… Learn More